BE PART OF A NETWORK OF GENERATION ALUMNI AROUND THE COUNTRY
The Generation Kenya alumni programme facilitates opportunities within the alumni community that foster a sense of Generation alumni pride. It also provides an opportunity for our alumni to help the organization achieve its objectives and mission of empowering youth to build thriving and sustainable careers across the country, while at the same time connecting the alumni with each other and the next generation of the program’s participants. Registration can be done online, via our online registration form.
The Generation Kenya Alumni Association
The Generation Kenya Alumni Association helps Generation Kenya’s alumni engage and remain connected with each other and with the organization through communications, events, and leadership opportunities.
The Association is governed by an Executive Committee, made up of alumni leaders elected by Generation Kenya’s alumni steering committee members. The steering committee is made up of alumni representatives from the Generation program who provide leadership and oversight to Generation Kenya alumni and act as a liaison between Generation and the alumni.
Receive a regular e-newsletter that includes:
- Updates on the Association and Generation Kenya
- Alumni stories from across the country
- Reports on past alumni events and details of upcoming events
- Details of upcoming alumni events for opportunities to network with other alumni for social and professional development
- Notifications of upcoming alumni events across the country that provide social and professional networking opportunities
- Free or discounted registration rates for Association events
- Receive information on opportunities to sign up for Generation upskilling and advanced training programs
- Invitations to participate in Generation outreach events and programs
- Opportunity to become part of the alumni steering committees
- Opportunity to be a Generation Kenya ambassador, resulting in recognition during Generation events, through digital media and on other platforms
Generation Kenya Mentorship Programme
Would you like to give back to the next generation of Generation students? Join our mentorship programme today as a mentor! Our mentorship programme’s main objective is to offer social support to Generation Kenya’s students and graduates, while offering mentors an opportunity to give back to the community. We believe that personal and professional success are closely connected, and that when our target students, who face a myriad of challenges during their training and early days at work such as negative peer influence, discouragement from the society etc., receive the support they need during this period from peers who have walked the journey and achieved some success, they will overcome the challenges and be successful.
Generation Kenya’s peer to peer mentorship programme involves involves the matching of one mentor with 3-5 mentees, who can either be students or fresh graduates (less than one month old as Generation alumni).
Each mentor is asked to mentor their mentees for at least three months. Mentorship starts in class and continues after training completion.
The mentor will be asked to meet with their mentees on a one on one basis at least once a week, and in a group setup at least once every two weeks. Beyond the physical meetings, the mentor is to actively keep in touch with the mentees to build a relationship and offer support.
The programme aims at offering support to mentees to advance their careers as they leverage experiences and skills of successful alumni. This support contributes to improving retention and performance for the students as they go through their training and when they start working.
The mentorship programme also helps us to ensure student and graduate well-being and improve prospects for their general career trajectory, as mentors and mentees receive formal and informal guidance.
Generation Kenya mentors help us to create a community that follows graduates into the workplace, since mentorship extends beyond the class and into the workplace. This helps us to ensure our students continue receiving the support they need to succeed in the workplace.
We seek to offer an opportunity for mentors to build skills and give to the next generation as they provide guidance and support to mentees, cultivate their leadership skills, give back to Generation and the community and get an opportunity to be upskilled by external mentors.
Benefits for the mentor
- To receive a certificate of service after 3 months of mentoring
- For upskilling by professionals, during mentor meetups and refreshers
- For experience in people management and leadership
- For enhanced job and personal satisfaction through the supporting of the development of others
- For recognition on our digital platforms and during our alumni events
- To reflect on own practice
- To use your experience, making it available to a person new in your profession
- To widen your understanding of the organisation and the way it works
- To practice interpersonal skills
Graduation ceremonies for Generation’s students in Kenya are held annually with the last one held on 15th March 2019, which graduated 4,799 of our students. The event was held at KICC. More than 4,500 people were in attendance, among them parents and dignitaries. Hon. Peter Munya, the Cabinet Secretary for the Ministry of Trade, Industry & Cooperatives and Dr. Kipkirui Langat, the CEO/DG for TVET Authority officiated the event. Present also were our funders, USAID, McKinsey & Company, SIDA and Safaricom Foundation.
Watch this space for details on our next graduation ceremony.
Generation Kenya alumni events happen biannually, providing an opportunity for our alumni to reconnect with the Generation team and with their peers while havingfun! The events also provide a platform for our alumni to learn about Generation’s new programs and ventures and how to be involved, as well as to celebrate their successes to date and be inspired by guest speakers.
Watch this space for details on our next alumni event!